- 10 small red delicious apples
- 2 med. oranges
- 10" piece of wire(clothes hanger works well)
- cinnamon sticks
- 8" strips of fabric
- Slice apples into 1/4" slices.
- Mix 2 Tbsp. salt and 1 c lemon juice.
- Do not core apples, as it is an attractive and more natural look.
- Soak apples in mixture for 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place on oven rack at 140 degress for 4 to 5 hours.
- Apples should be supple, not brittle.
- Remove to cool.
- Slice oranges into 1/4" slices.
- Skip the lemon juice soak and lay on oven rack for 4 hours or until supple and not brittle.
- Remove and cool.
- Thread 10 slices of apple on wire, then orange slice.
- Take strip of fabric and tie cinnamon sticks to wire.
- Continue until all is threaded onto wire.
- Shape wire into desired shape, such as circle, heart or apple.
- Tie addtional strip of fabric on top of wreath to hang.
- Lemons can also be used.
Makes 1 pound, 3 ounces or about 48 berries.
Store at room temperature.
Shirley adds, "I don't always follow this recipe exactly. I have used
pecans, but I think I almost prefer walnuts, and instead of rolling the
berries in red sugar, I buy an extra box of strawberry gelatin and roll
the shaped berries in the dry powder. It adds an extra strawberry
flavor (somewhat tart)."